If it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, it is broken...

News artcles from the front page. Comment on them here.
NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, it is broken...

Post by NeoThermic » Sun, 15 2006 Jan 11:48:42

My laptop finally decided about a month ago that it didn't like the PSU cable. Basically I was unable to get the cable to provide power to the laptop, and with the battery already giving up its ghost (note: might be related), there was no option but to repair it.

So, being unable to sleep, I decided to take my screwdriver to my laptop. I knew what the problem should be, a loose power connector, but in order to get to the point of fixing the problem, I had to get the motherboard out. On a laptop, that isn't the worlds easiest task. Ever.

I started off by removing the underside screws, the DVD/CD-RW drive, and the HD. After that, I had to remove the hinge screws, and pop the top panel off. This left me at this stage:

It is actually quite a nice view inside. You can see things such as the Intel CPU (1200 MHz), the S3 Twister HP chipset (The grahpics card, I kid you not), and one of the two sticks of 128MB SDRAM.

From this, you then have to remove the screen, which left me at this stage:

There's a good 7 screws that hold the top part of the facia on, excluding the underside screws (there's 15 of them). Once those were removed, I was at this stage:

From there, I'm just 12 screws away from removing the motherboard. A few of the screws were a bit tight, which required a larger screw driver for them (I'll note that they are all cross-head screws). Once those were removed, I had my motherboard:

The problem is as expected, one of the two connectors for the power jack has de-solderd itself. This is a four layer PCB, so I'll need to find a friend who has the equiptment to solder this.
Here's a closeup of the problem:

As you can see, theres a brown'ed out connector there, which is the problem area. I'll probibally have to clean that up to make a decent contact, and then apply some solder to the area, being carefull not to spill it on the other connector, which is about 1mm away, and we are talking about a 2mm solder area.

So, wish me luck...

Timid Soul

Re: If it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, it is broken...

Post by Timid Soul » Tue, 20 2009 Jan 00:51:18

I've have been using your post to fix my zt 1000 series HP. I get to where I remove the board and it will not budge. It seems the large X (whatever) with the 4 screws are holding it in. Can you help me, I'm afraid to pull too hard or remove those screws because I have no idea what they are. Thanks, Timid Soul