Intergration with phpBB

News artcles from the front page. Comment on them here.
NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

Intergration with phpBB

Post by NeoThermic » Sat, 13 2004 Nov 14:26:30

As you can see I've done a bit more to the site. To start, I've finally got it to the point of drawing posts from the forum as news articles.

Secondly, now its more like a blog; you can reply to each blog posting as required. Just register on the forums if you have not done so (or click to register).

Finally, smilies work! 8)

As for tutorials. The up and comming ones are:
  • Taking it further - A tutorial to tie up the already brillant Apache tutorial.
  • Installing Apache 2.0.x on windows. (I've had a small amout of stick for using 1.3.33 from a certian user ;) )
  • Enabling GD for PHP on windows.
  • Java tutorials (since I've got to learn somehow)

Finally I decided to look at the score for the test I took. This test was bad because on wednesday I found out I needed the book. Waterstones said that they could get it in by a weeks time. No good, as the test was the same friday. Ottakas said that they could get it in on the thursday.
Great! I thought, so I orderd. Well, it arrived on friday, not thursday, so I took the test totally un-revised.

I did quite well though. I got a D+, which I'm happy with, considering that I thought I was going to end up with a G or something worse :)

Deano

Post by Deano » Fri, 28 2006 Jul 09:17:11

I know this is a bit of an old topic now and im not normally a fan of dragging old topics to the surface but im just wondering on how you went about getting your PHPBB posts onto the front page?

I've been looking around for mods to download to make it easy but arn't having much luck.
Did you manage to find one to install or have you written something yourself to achieve this?

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Wed, 02 2006 Aug 00:47:53

Deano wrote:I know this is a bit of an old topic now and im not normally a fan of dragging old topics to the surface but im just wondering on how you went about getting your PHPBB posts onto the front page?

I've been looking around for mods to download to make it easy but arn't having much luck.
Did you manage to find one to install or have you written something yourself to achieve this?
you can include common.php and run some sql querys

Zarkow

Post by Zarkow » Sun, 20 2006 Aug 00:06:24

Or you can use and extend http://www.phpbbfetchall.com/

A rather populare mod for creating portals.

NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by NeoThermic » Sun, 20 2006 Aug 00:19:40

Zarkow wrote:Or you can use and extend https://www.phpbbfetchall.com/

If the quick look at the samples in fetchall is anything to go by, I wouldn't touch fetch-all with a barge pole.

NeoThermic

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Sun, 20 2006 Aug 14:45:50

a lot of sites use it.
I even considered it once

Post by Guest » Wed, 23 2006 Aug 23:56:26

NeoThermic wrote:
Zarkow wrote:Or you can use and extend http://www.phpbbfetchall.com/

If the quick look at the samples in fetchall is anything to go by, I wouldn't touch fetch-all with a barge pole.

NeoThermic
Care to elaborate?

Using it as a base if one isn't fully confident in writing their own system and later on extending/modding it, well, that is how many people are using it now.

NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by NeoThermic » Thu, 24 2006 Aug 00:05:27

Anonymous wrote:Care to elaborate?
Sure:
  • Doesn't use phpBB's built in functions as-is (it abstracts them out, so thats abscraction on abscraction)
  • Some horribly inefficent queries
  • Hard-coded HTML
  • Very little validation done on the functions. If someone somehow passes data to them, it could lead to exploits
That was from my breif look at the source. I've not much time now to investigate anything else deeper, but if you state your reason for wanting to know more, I'll set some time aside to take a better look.

NeoThermic

Zarkow

Post by Zarkow » Fri, 25 2006 Aug 19:40:46

Some of the querys are 'overscoped' per defualt, but that is most likely to allow people to get whatever info they want, for example if getting user-info it will return Everything about the user.

When modifying and extending the mod one will, hopefully, know enough as to how to optimise the sql-calls and so on. =)

I don't share your security-fear, since the mod in itself doesn't have any holes other then what the programmer will let in, and then it doesn't matter if you are using the mod or doing sql-queries yourself.

I don't remember any hardcoded htlm, but then again, I have extended the base since first downloading it. In any way, you know your way around phpbb and php and wont need it, but for beginners I think it might be a great place to start [in getting a portal for the forum].

http://www.silentheroes.se/
http://www.digitalsoftware.se
http://www.aftonfabler.se
Guess which sites that has based anything off the mod. =)

In anyway, since the mod is kinda big, and you know phpbb and php so well, I think the creator would love your input and help on the subject.

Zarkow

Post by Zarkow » Fri, 25 2006 Aug 19:45:03

That was new...4 failed visual confimations and it had succeded on the first, only not showing it [but returned to 'wrong code' and post again-page]. Sorry for double-post. =)

NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by NeoThermic » Fri, 25 2006 Aug 20:31:07

Zarkow wrote:That was new...4 failed visual confimations and it had succeded on the first, only not showing it [but returned to 'wrong code' and post again-page]. Sorry for double-post. =)
That's been fixed :)

As for what you said, do not forget that the code is aimed at people who might not know what they are doing. Providing them with insecure functions so far as no checking on data passed to some commands is like giving people a loaded gun. Sure, many know to be carefull with it and aim away from themselves, but there will always be one who blows their feet away.

NeoThermic