You know what they say about data...

News artcles from the front page. Comment on them here.
NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

You know what they say about data...

Post by NeoThermic » Tue, 02 2005 Aug 18:14:01

..the more important the data is, the more likely the disk holding it will fail!

So, what happened to me? I lost just a drop over 0.5 million files with one drive deciding to not work.

I've (using some amazing tools) tracked the problem down to the circuit board on the drive. My drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (don't talk to me about disk manufactures, I've lost drives from them *all* so they all suck ;) ). I checked its warranty, and low and behold, its a good year and a half outside the warranty. Great!

So I decided to e-mail Maxtor in the vain hope that they can tell me where to get a circuit board for the drive. I expected them to say 'We don't sell them, and don't know where to get them'.

I was wrong. Not only did they give me two companies (both foreign though) that might help, they also said this:

Maxtor Ireland wrote:For the following Maxtor hard drive models: Fireball 3, DiamondMax 16, DiamondMax Plus 8, DiamondMax Plus 9, Diamond Max 10 and all MaxLine products there is also a GTLA Number on the model (next to barcode on the bottom of the drive). Format 1Y222J2223322. 1, 2 and 3 stand for numbers, Y and J for letters. The numbers 1 and 3 as well as the letter Y need to be identical to be able to replace the PCB on these drives.

So, this is a plea for help to anyone out there who has a "dead" DiamondMax Plus 9. If you still believe the circuit board works, and your drive's GTLA number is:

6Y120L0040401 (the 6Y, L and 04 parts being critical)

Then post here or contact me, as I *need* the circuit board from it. I will be willing to negotiate a deal with you for it if you have one.

If you don't, but know where on earth to get such items (bar e-bay or other online auction sites please), then do tell, as some of these files are critical. (you can also shout at me for not backing up, but please also suggest how the hell to backup about 50GB of data without spending all my money on tapes)

So, in short: HELP!

Thanks!

alcaeus

Sorry to hear this

Post by alcaeus » Thu, 04 2005 Aug 00:48:16

Yea...unfortunately I don't have one of those drives, but I could've needed that information about 1.5 years ago...that's when my Maxtor crashed: about 2 million files lost, and I wasn't able to restore them.
Well, you know what they say: gotta keep busy :lol:

Greetz
alcaeus

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Fri, 02 2005 Sep 00:36:53

I have a Maxtor drive
how do I tell f it's a DiamondMax Plus 9?
if this helps the model # is: D740X-6L

NeoThermic
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by NeoThermic » Fri, 02 2005 Sep 13:38:12

who_cares wrote:I have a Maxtor drive
how do I tell f it's a DiamondMax Plus 9?
if this helps the model # is: D740X-6L

If you have a peak at this image:
https://neothermic.com/Images/laptopvsdesktopHD.jpg

The drive on the right is the Maxtor in question. At the top you'll see it says:

DiamondMax Plus 9

Your drive will need to say the same for it to be one.

NeoThermic

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Sat, 03 2005 Sep 16:10:07

I don't have that kind, sorry
A picture

AdamR

Post by AdamR » Mon, 05 2005 Sep 16:28:47

I'd help you if I could. I have the DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y080P0 :(
Good luck finding a replacement.

- Adam

JustVisiting

How to backup 50Gb data

Post by JustVisiting » Mon, 07 2005 Nov 20:53:57

Cannot help you with the Maxtor drive but would like to offer advice on backing up.

Actually I can only tell you what I do so it's up to you to do what's best for you. 50Gb might sound like a challenge but with today's HD prices it's really not. I actually don't use tapes. I bought a few HDs and use them to backup data. So on my production PC I have a total of 3 HDs of 80Gb+ each. And I have another PC with 3 HDs of 80Gb+ as well. On a weekly basis I copy my data from the production HD to all other 5 drives. That's my backup - I figure it would be rare that all 6 drives fail at the same time so it's pretty safe that way. Of course I use the HDs for other OS, not just for backup. But then I only backup about 10Gb worth of data. I was able to buy the HDs when they're on sale in shops like Office Depot, Staples, BestBuy, Circuit City, CompUSA....etc. This year I acquired a 160Gb HD for US$19.99 after rebate. But if you're not in USA I'm not sure how affordable HDs are so good luck. Hope that helps. Also, I have a mix of Maxtor and Western Digitals. I know these are shaky brands, but that's why I have 6 backups :D

bbb

I have a drive

Post by bbb » Sat, 12 2005 Nov 00:40:18

6y160p0041111

Drive powers but the head is clicking, it is out of warranty. I think the board is good!

bbb

contact info

Post by bbb » Sat, 12 2005 Nov 00:42:08

arnold86

Re: You know what they say about data...

Post by arnold86 » Fri, 20 2006 Jan 18:05:25

Hi!

I've got the exactly brand new one you need:

S/N: y40nhdhe
tla: 6y120l0040401

if you are still interesting email me

thierrylafond at wanadoo.fr
replace "at" by "@"

bye

So, this is a plea for help to anyone out there who has a "dead" DiamondMax Plus 9. If you still believe the circuit board works, and your drive's GTLA number is:

6Y120L0040401 (the 6Y, L and 04 parts being critical)

Then post here or contact me, as I *need* the circuit board from it. I will be willing to negotiate a deal with you for it if you have one.